Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Karo Week in Menasha

March 1, 1929, Menasha Record
Five of the area's local grocers get together with the Karo people to make a big marketing effort, one I hadn't seen until later years frankly.  My own family has used the product for years, to include its use on pancakes and making candy, but I had not heard of putting it on bread to give your kids.  But I guess that's the beauty of marketing- finding new and incredible uses to win over the reluctant customer and thereby "renew" the brand for a new generation.  

2 comments:

  1. My mother often shopped at Ripple Grocery, which was located at 270 Kaukauna Street. However, I was puzzled by the reference to "In the Loop." I don't remember seeing this term before. BTW, after the Ripples left the scene, the business and building were continued by others, including Lewis and then Marx. And possibly by others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did some digging and found many references in the newspapers of 1929 to "the loop." Evidently, it referred to the area of Main, Tayco, and Kaukauna Streets. Perhaps it was because if you look at a map of Menasha, Chute Street to the west connects to Kaukauna Street and then connects to Main Street on the east, forming a loop. Or maybe it was a trendy shorthand the city fathers hoped would help define the city. After all, the term in this time frame was used for a business area with a lot going on- the Brin had just opened in 1928 and the new Tayco Street bridge was about to be dedicated in 1929. I'll feature some of these references in tomorrow's blog post. Thanks for an intriguing question.

    ReplyDelete