Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, October 14, 2019

A Lost Era- The 1000 Yarders Club

February 12, 2012, Appleton Post-Crescent
Seeing as we're in the thick of another NFL season, let's hearken back seven years when the Post-Crescent put together a nicely packaged story of the 1000 Yarders Club at The Left Guard in Menasha.  We even get a nice parade picture of Gale Sayers in downtown Menasha.  The club waned with the increased number of games and runners became more proficient; suddenly gaining 1000 yards wasn't considered such a feat any more when you had more time to get them.  By the late 1970's the club disappeared.  But for a great many years, Menasha, of all places, basked in the glory of the NFL and we were all the better for it. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this event as a kid. Menasha was a gathering place for the Packers and even other NFL players. Thanks for publishing this I never saw it in the Post Crescent when printed. I was in the article :). I also must say that Ralph McClone had a special connection with this group after coaching and sponsoring our 8th grade football team. My mother won an autographed 1966 Super Bowl Packer football from St Mary's raffle. I understand Ralph got it for the raffle. She could have sold it for $500 that night but I still have it.

    ReplyDelete