Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, August 30, 2019

Loescher Says Buy Local

September 14, 1939, Menasha Record
Can you imagine buying a washer for $39.95?  Yes, it was 1939, but still.... I know, I know, it isn't fair to moon over prices like that when Depression era folks were lucky to find employment for 25 cents per hour.  But really, I feature this ad to applaud the idea that a local merchant would urge us to buy locally, especially from a stalwart like Speed Queen, made in good ol' Ripon, Wisconsin.  My Mom had a washer just like that, although it was a Maytag, made in Iowa, I think.  State pride aside, she knew and I knew that the Maytag was a work horse, so much so that growing up in an era that almost demanded automatic washers, she still opted to use the old Maytag with the wringer on the top.  And when she was gifted with a new modern one by my father, the thing lasted less than a week before she sent it back and got a newer wringer washer, another Maytag.  

I'm taking a week's vacation from the blog, so have a great Labor Day holiday.  I'll be back here on September 9th.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment