Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Train Excursion

November 1, 1939, Appleton Post-Crescent
I ran across this in the sports pages and, recalling the bus trips I took to Milwaukee's County Stadium in the 1970's to see Brewers games, I wonder what sort of decorum there was on the train going and coming from the game.  All I know from this era is what I remember from movies and newsreels and it was views of men in suits and ties and fedora hats and the whole thing looking quite dignified.  There were no guys in jerseys or t-shirts or any of the other team apparel that fuels what must be a multi-million dollar industry.  I DO wonder what the "refreshments" were on the train.  The "refreshments" I remember on those bus trips included copious amounts of beer and I can only imagine that those train trips from that era were not the bacchanalia my bus trips were.  And that price! Yes, yes, I know there's no comparison to today.  But still...the game ticket WAS included. 

No comments:

Post a Comment