Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

White Soda

January 28, 1961, Appleton Post-Crescent
I ran across a humorous article the other day about the seemingly silly things Wisconsin residents say (or at least to the outside world).  One of the items mentioned was "white soda."  Now, I've been removed from the upper Midwest for many a year, having moved to South Carolina 21 years ago and before that, not having lived full-time in Wisconsin since 1979.  I recall white soda growing up, especially the Graf's brand.  Do people even say that anymore?  And can it be purchased any longer? 

Every state has its oddities as far as language is concerned.  Shortly after I moved here, I went to the deli at my local supermarket and asked for shaved ham.  They looked at me as if I'd just landed from Mars.  That same day I learned that shopping carts were "buggies."  By then I thought it best to not ask about buying bakery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment