Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Solid


January 12, 1921, American Architect

We first encountered the First National Bank (second iteration) as featured in this architectural journal back in 2014:  http://menashabook.blogspot.com/2014/12/stately.html.  In the last few years, during its removal for the new office tower, much was made of its stately appearance, with its iconic columns, and the lament as to their disposition.  But little, if anything, was said about its magnificent interior.  If the unspoken message of a bank was represented by its appearance, then this bank had it in the greatest degree.  Solid, unyielding, almost fortress-like, it was a cathedral of finance.  Even the ornate skylights mimicked being in church.  I remember being in this bank as a small boy and simply being in awe at the hard marble writing desk which I couldn't even reach.  I regret that these photographs aren't in color. 

3 comments:

  1. David, your description of the bank as awe inspiring is right on. In ~1953 - 1956 I made my weekly deposit of 25 cents into their "Xmas club." I always entered the bank with trepidation but one look at that vault door and the brass tellers' cages always made me feel my stash was safe. This building represented the reassurance and security that grown-ups provided to our world.
    Jim Krahenbuhl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the bank wasn't always that secure. This morning, I read in the Dec. 24, 1874 Neenah Gazette, concerning the Menasha Bank:

    The First National Bank is building a vault to keep their valuables in, and making thorough repairs to the roof of their bank building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any clue as to what happened to the stained glass panel? I remember is was HUGE and beautiful. Was it salvaged by the City or sold off to the highest bidder?

    ReplyDelete