November 24, 1958, Appleton Post-Crescent
We first encountered the concept of the "400", as used by the Chicago and North Western Railway in a blog post last year: http://menashabook.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-flambeau-400.html. In short, the 400 became the moniker for the C&NW's trains because, in the competitive railroad environment of the 1930's, the "400" was able to travel between Chicago and Minneapolis in 400 minutes. Eventually, the 400 name became synonymous with the C&NW's double decker coaches, or bi-level cars. Of course, this all ended for the Neenah-Menasha area when service was terminated in 1971.