Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

House Fire




I found this clipping recently in my Mom's things and I'm guessing it dates to about November of 1949, based on the ages of my siblings. The fire happened long before I was born in 1956, but it was always a piece of family lore that would be resurrected time and again, so much so that I could recite chapter and verse on this story without having been involved. 

If my memory serves me correctly, the fire was always told to have happened in the dead of winter, which to me would have been January or February.  Guess things get embellished after time.  Even though it would be a lifetime before I ever encountered this news clipping to help set the record straight, I always believed that.  Funny how it was never brought out to illustrate things when the story came up.  Needless to say I'm grateful for my Dad's nite-owl activities or somebody else might be doing this blog. 

4 comments:

  1. David,
    I clearly recall the fire in your family home. I was the new kid in 2nd grade at St Mary, having transferred from St John where I attended K and 1st grade (it was walking distance from my home). John was one of the kids who welcomed me and I think I went home with him a few times for lunch. I recall the fire as a frightening experience for all of us as it seriously shook our sense of well being. I also recall that for weeks after John's clothes smelled strongly of smoke, I mean strongly. The school held a clothes drive to provide clothes for your whole family. We always had a fire plan, where to meet in the front yard, etc., but I wonder if that plan stemmed from your home fire.
    Jim Krahenbuhl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,
    How wonderful that the school came together and did something so practical for my family. I never knew this and I am taken aback, frankly, at its kindness and humanity. Thanks for the anecdote; that puts a new spin on the event that I had never considered before.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom was born same year ad you. But she went to FVL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrible experience for anyone to encounter! I'm sure your parents have been wary of the possibilities of their house getting caught on fire, now that they've experienced the terror firsthand. I think keeping the clippings is a good way to stay intact with the possibility of an accident occuring at the least expected moment. In any way, I do hope that you're faring well these days, and far away from the traumatic memories of that fire. Thanks for sharing that, David! All the best!

    Vincent Gerrits @ Servpro Industries, Inc.

    ReplyDelete