Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Woolen Mills Strike

 



April 18, 1887 Shelbyville (IN) Daily Democrat
 

April 22, 1887 Oshkosh Northwestern
 
In my research, I found this story mentioned in other papers, from Indiana to California, as if the wire services had picked it up and ran with it.  The only mention in the local papers I found was the above article from the Northwestern, attributing these comments to the New York Sun.  Perhaps I have too many Dickensian images in my mind, but I found it hard to believe that 19th century factory workers, and women besides, would "strike" over such an issue, much less get away with it.  Nevertheless, if this is to be believed, the alleged New York Sun writer above seems to have his tongue planted firmly in cheek, or was evidently wowed in some previous visit to our fair city by the feminine element!  I never did find out how the strike was settled and if the women won. 
 
(And if the New York Sun sounds familiar...ten years later, it would gain immortality for its editorial proclaiming "Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus.")

No comments:

Post a Comment