Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Hail, Santa

 

November 25, 1961, Oshkosh Northwestern

Santa moves into Menasha's famous gingerbread house for the first time in 1961, delighting the hearts of local children.  In years to come, that gingerbread house will be moved around to various locations in the downtown area, but never wavering will be the enthusiasm shown by visitors to the jolly old elf inside.  Coming soon on the heels of Thanksgiving, the holiday has traditionally been a launching pad for the Christmas merriment to come.

1 comment:

  1. The mention of Vernon Knox in the article brought back some memories. He taught Woodworking and (I think) other Industrial Arts at Menasha High School for many, many years. He retired in about 1967, which was a year or so before I went to Senior High School. I think his successor was Jerry Landsverk (not sure about the spelling). I don't know if they even teach Woodworking at Menasha HS anymore. I don't know if they teach Personal Typing anymore, either. My teacher for that was Mrs. Geeding, who was actually a good teacher. She must have been because she taught a total klutz like me how to type!

    ReplyDelete