Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, October 25, 2021

Collectibles


 November 16, 1961, Appleton Post-Crescent
My family was a big proponent of the grocery premiums of the 1950's and 60's, where one would amass a set of encyclopedias one volume at a time, or, in this case, these dishes on a weekly basis.  I always envied the kids who had the first-rate World Book encyclopedias in their homes while I had to make do with the green bound Funk and Wagnalls in our bookcase.  Of course, the World Book had cool color photos and my childish brain likely couldn't get around the fact that this shouldn't have been the deciding factor on an encyclopedia.  Anyway, my Mom collected so many of these Currier and Ives dishes from the A&P just across the tracks in Neenah near the old train station, that I believe she could have served a state dinner on behalf of a grateful nation.  I'm sure many of the blog's readers can identify with these promotions from a time when groceries as well as gas stations gave away dishware, glasses, etc. to entice shoppers to their businesses. 

 January 18, 1961, Appleton Post-Crescent

No comments:

Post a Comment