Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, February 12, 2021

Work Lessons

February 18, 1970, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern

Tales of yesteryear.  Does any kid have a paper route anymore?  Does anyone get the newspaper, for that matter?  Or is it like my world in South Carolina where an adult man in a car brings my paper every morning at 6:30 and I am the last person on the cul-de-sac who still subscribes?  I suspect this dialogue was a bit imagined and repurposed by the writer to get her point across, but she imparted enough info about paper routes in 1970 that it is a time capsule to a by-gone era.  The whole "Hey Mister" thing sounds like newsboys from a 1930's movie.  Still, she is correct that delivering newspapers was one of the first thing kids could do to make their mark in the business world, save for mowing lawns and selling lemonade on the corner.  Even I succumbed somewhat, not having my own route but helping friends deliver The Buyer's Guide on Wednesdays sometimes.  Not the same, but similar.  

1 comment: