Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Newspapers for the Taking

 July 19, 1980, Twin City News-Record
I was taken by this article, at the mere thought of such a bonanza available to anybody, especially to a guy like me who likes local history.  But, alas, I missed my opportunity, being out of town on Uncle Sam's dime in those days.  And at that age, I might have passed on the opportunity anyway, as my interests have evolved over the years.  At the ripe old age of 23 (I had hair!), and I was still impressed with my youth and what that might entail, so I know I would have taken the attitude of the newspaper that hey, the future is here and we don't need these old war horses around any more.  Of course, that the future was microfilm, for that day and time seems quaint by today's technological standards, but then progress is measured in drips and drabs at times and I remember enough Army initiatives for the time that entailed such "advances."  

Well, kudos to the News-Record all those years ago for not just pitching the volumes into the dumpster out the back door.

No comments:

Post a Comment