Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, August 5, 2013

Second Grade 1909


Going through some things of my parents I came across yesterday, I found this old photo, clipped from The Nightmare, the shop newspaper for the employees of the George Banta Publishing Company.  I think it came from an issue from the mid-1960s.  I wondered why until I got to the fourth row and discovered my Aunt Leona Voit as a girl.  Despite her name being misspelled as Voight, I recognized her face, even though I don't believe I'd ever before seen a photo of her as a young girl. 

Evidently, per the caption, many of her classmates became Banta employees, which explains why The Nightmare published it, not to mention that it's just a great snapshot of the times regardless.  As for Aunt Leona, she went to nursing school in Chicago, worked there for many years, and later moved to California in retirement. 

As expected, the last names of many of these students match the names of some of my classmates some sixty years later.  How many do you recognize?  Maybe a relative of yours is here. 

2 comments:

  1. My husband's grandfather is Alois Bayer. The 4th little guy to the left in the first row. The Voissem's are all related to him too. We don't have any pictures of his grandfather when he was small so this was a thrill to see! Thank you for all you postings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather is the second boy in the first row, Roman Schierl. This is probably the 4th picture I have ever seen of him. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete