Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Banjo Joe Gazecki



Joe, at right, about 1916


Located at 408 1/2 Racine Street, the Bungalow Cycle Shop, run by Joe Gazecki, is in the center of this photo, ca.1928. Pictured are some early versions of snowmobiles.   








May 13, 1962 feature on Banjo Joe in the Post-Crescent



from a June 13, 1967 Oshkosh Northwestern feature
 
Banjo Joe Gazecki, musician, racing enthusiast, tinkerer, inventor, retailer, fix-it man, and raconteur was, until his death in 1976, a renaissance man in Menasha.  Be it racing bicycles or cars, snowmobiles, or anything with a motor in it, Joe would do it.  A lifelong musician, he learned the banjo on his own, practicing three hours a day while making a living repairing bicycles and motorcycles.  In time, he became a "trick" banjoist, playing one-handed and even behind his back, garnering him regional and national fame enough to count Red Skelton and Liberace as his friends.  In his later years, Banjo Joe made himself a familiar figure at hospitals, rest homes and institutions in the area, entertaining the patients in his free time and traveling at his own expense.  

4 comments:

  1. Banjo Joe, a man who lived his his life fully. An interesting person to put it mildly. I remember hearing about him from a friend of mine Jim Konkol and his mom Viola (Padalski?)Konkol, they may have been related to Joe, but not sure on that point. I see that he died while I was a junior in high school. I would have loved to talk him, spend some time and perhaps if I were lucky, know this person (if only a bit) who had accumulated so much knowledge, skill and life. So sad that we never know what we have missed until it is gone. It is undoubtedly the people - the lives, that make places what they are, and what's more make us who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have the chance to spend time with this MOST wonderful man, I looked forward to going to Gramma's just so I could knock on his door and see if he would play his banjo for me.As a young child I was fascinated with all the stuff he had in his Apartment,. And how he could play so many different instruments and that he gave us kids lots of cool things to take home too ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i was 12 years old, my dad brought Banjp Joe home to meet me; I played piano acccordion and Dad always trotted me out whenever he brought a friend home. Joe then took me under his wing and I played along with others at numerous functions and many area hospitals and nursing homes. When we had paying gigs, Joe payed me the same amount as the others in the band, which irritated some of the older band members. Joe always said "I pay him as much as you guys because he works as hard. When I got married in 1971 Joe came to the wedding. The band playing for my wedding had planned this. We got Joe on stage I played with Joe and the Powers Boys. Joe put the banjo behind his head, and gave the wedding guests a great show. He inspired me to form my own band,, Hoppy & the Gophers,which I started in late 1971 and continue to perform with to this day. Thanks Joe for all the great memories, great stories and teaching me how to live my life and enjoy. Paul G. Hopfensperger R.N. "Hoppy"

    ReplyDelete